There are a thousand ways to dress up oatmeal, the list goes on forever. I’ve seen chocolate oatmeal, oatmeal with dried fruit, spiced oatmeal, etc, etc, etc. The thing that most attracts me when I’m looking for new and inventive ways to make oatmeal, is when something delicious we all know and love (such as a popular dessert), is adapted into a yummy way to start the day. That is why I took peach pie, and transformed it into a healthy breakfast.
I spent some time online, looking at different peach pie recipes, and jotted down the most common ingredients, as well as the least common (in this case lemon juice.. which I did in fact add, although I was a bit skeptical about putting lemon juice in my oatmeal…). The result was delicious! It tasted exactly like peach pie. Who wants to eat plain, old oatmeal, when you can pretty much have dessert for breakfast…GUILT FREE!
1 cup almond milk
nutmeg – very small pinch
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup thawed frozen peach halves, cut into 1/4” chunks
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
plain, non fat, Greek yogurt
honey (to drizzle on top)
1. In a small saucepan, bring almond milk to a boil.
2. Once boiling, add oats, peaches, cinnamon, and nutmeg, stir.
3. Cook until oats have absorbed almost all of the almond milk. Add vanilla, and brown sugar.
4. Continue to cook until all the almond milk has been absorbed and transfer to bowl.
5. Add a spoonful of Greek yogurt (you could also use regular vanilla yogurt) and drizzle with honey.
6. Eat eat eat!